Tuesday 15 October 2013

Hello! The article I chose is from "The Santiago Times". It's about the indigenous march that happened in Santiago on October twelve of this year, the "Columbus day" (Here in Chile is like the "Race's day" or something like this).

The main reasons of this protest are to celebrate indigenous culture, request for autonomy and denounce the state's response to the disputes over the land rights. Also they wanted to condemn the police violence and the treatment of activists who are in the jail.

The group that leads the march was Meli Wixan Mapu and her spokeswoman is Patricia Lienlaf. She critized the state terrorism against the indigenous community.

The march of this last saturday finished in Parque Forestal. During the protest and then, everything was full of colors, music, dance and tradition. In the protest there were Mapuche (like a I said before), Aymara and Rapa Nui people. Also, there was people from Santiago who wanted to participate and support the indigenous's demands.

At the end of the event, when people was tasting tradional food watching the cultural shows, started conflicts between "encapuchados" and the chilean police. After a protest, it's usually in Chile the appearance of "encapuchados" who begin vandalising.

This was the new.

http://santiagotimes.cl/indigenous-march-in-chiles-capital-on-columbus-day/

2 comments:

  1. Hello Constanza. I'm here again. Ah, the saturday's march... I was invited to go there, but I couldn´t because I had to meet with someone special for me, and I have not regrets. I did what my heart tell me... By the way, the article seems to be interesting. I think that the indigenous demands are fair and honest. The cops are our enemies!!!! Omit that... Parque Forestal? I know that place, it is a beautiful place. I have a lot of memories of that place...July 8th, the day most important of my life... Oh! about the post... "Encapuchados"? Hahaha. They appear in every march, they are so predictable... I hope there were not injured people... Well, that's all. Bye bye! See you next time. (Hey, do you want to go to Parque Forestal with me? Hahahaha, it's a joke -or not?-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I want to go to this march, but I must travel to Viña so I can't go. I think the people should incorporate to this activities. I know a lot of people went and participated of the march, but the rest of the country don't know about this activities, actually if I go to Viña and talk with my friend about this march, they wouldn't know what it is. Also, the "encapuchados" have always waited for march to express whatever they want to say. I'll see you in the University, bye!

    ReplyDelete